Now that you’ve fixed your storage problem by buying that new EqualLogic iSCSI SAN, what about addressing shared access through standards protocols such as CIFS/SMB and NFS…? Unfortunately, your typical SAN – not even the mighty EqualLogic iSCSI SAN – will address such protocols directly. What to do…?
Customer demand has driven the answer: the EqualLogic FS7600 / FS7610 NAS appliance.
Instead of having to find or purchase a separate NAS to address their CIFS/SMB and NFS protocols and shared access, EqualLogic clients can now have a NAS solution that fully integrates into your current or future EqualLogic SAN. Please note: The Dell EqualLogic FS7600 / 7610 must be used in conjunction with an EqualLogic iSCSI SAN array…it cannot be used as a standalone NAS.
There are two (2) versions of the EqualLogic NAS: 1) the 1-Gigabit solution (FS7600), and 2) the 10GigE solution (FS7610). These NAS appliances are the second generation appliances, stemming from the EqualLogic FS7500 series.
Dell Storage’s website indicates that, “Deployment and management of the FS7600 Series is fully integrated into EqualLogic Group Manager, including administration, monitoring and maintenance operations. Group Manager automates the initial setup and configuration of your FS7600 system, simplifying the process of creating volumes and shares.
Key Benefits of the Dell EqualLogic FS7600 FS7610 NAS:
- Unified IP storage solution (iSCSI, CIFS, NFS)
- Single file share scalability up to the full capacity of the EqualLogic deployment, currently validated to 509TB
- Asynchronous, file system-level, snapshot-based replication to peer FS7600 Series systems
- User-restorable snapshots
- NDMP Back-Up
- Compatible with all EqualLogic arrays running a current firmware version
- Integrated with Group Manager, easy-to-use EqualLogic management software, or use the Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Inclusive software delivery model
- Single namespace with load balanced IO
- Mirrored, battery-backed write cache
- RAID 5, 6, 10, 50C”
As with all EqualLogic devices, EqualLogic pricing is available for both the EqualLogic FS7600 as well as the EqualLogic FS7610.