The Dell EqualLogic iSCSI SAN has always had a very strong relationship with all of the major technology partners in the industry, including Microsoft. It’s no wonder that the Dell EqualLogic SAN continues to build off of and enhance Microsoft environments. Today let’s take a look at what the EqualLogic SAN can do for Microsoft in regard to leveraging it using the EqualLogic Auto-Snapshot Manager / Microsoft Edition (aka EqualLogic ASM/ME).
Let’s face it: Every organization has varying levels of standards they need to meet, and some organizations even have SLAs in place – service level agreements. If you have Microsoft – and chances are you do – you want to make sure the iSCSI storage solution you have in place can easily and quickly protect and backup your Microsoft SQL, Exchange, and Hyper-V applications in a spur of the moment. According to Dell’s website, using the EqualLogic Auto-Snapshot Manager (Microsoft edition) can provide:
- “Streamlined operations through a simple, intuitive wizard that can run on a physical server or virtual machine
- Accelerated deployment via full integration with Microsoft VSS, Hyper-V integration services, MCSC, CVS and Live Migration
- Streamlined backup and rapid restoration of Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines, Microsoft SQL and Exchange server applications
- Reduced server overhead and enhanced performance using SAN-based snapshots
- Simpler operations with easy-to-use, built-in snapshot scheduler that provides ongoing protection while minimizing required disk space
- All-inclusive software features with Dell EqualLogic iSCSI SANs — no additional software license required to implement Auto-Snapshot Manager/Microsoft Edition”
The interoperability between Dell EqualLogic and Microsoft has been tested and certified, and it is also one of Dell’s Business Ready Configurations. The cost? No additional cost…it’s all part of the complete EqualLogic pricing model.
Equallogic auto snapshot manager/microsoft edition | microsoft vss framework. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.dellstorage.com/data-protection/data-protection-and-recovery/microsoft-vss/asm-me.aspx