Well, you tell me. You and / or your company have just invested more money in an EqualLogic SAN than the cost of your own vehicle. Heck, probably several vehicles. In other words, you’ve invested – or are about to invest – a lot of money into a premium EqualLogic iSCSI SAN solution…a solution that actually does what it says it’s gonna do. So, yeah, you need ProSupport…but now a couple of questions arise:
What kind of ProSupport do I need…and how much does EqualLogic Support Cost?
Okay, let me break it down for you.
There are two major types of ProSupport – Mission-Critical (MC) and Next Business Day (NBD). From these two options, you have a choice between 1, 3, 4 or 5 years of ProSupport when you initially purchase your EqualLogic SAN in addition to different response times (2-hour, 4-hour, 6-hour).
So which do you choose…? Simple. Listen closely…actually, read closely…
Mission-Critical – select this option for one or multiple reasons:
- The EqualLogic SAN will be placed in a location where there will be no technical staff available to physically manage it
- Your organization has true mission-critical applications that rely heavily upon the EqualLogic SAN being up always…you know, the kinds of applications you’d get a pink slip for if they ever go down
- You simply need the peace of mind that someone will show up within two or four hours with spare EqualLogic parts and a red cape to come and save the day and fix it for you
- Your company can afford it, you have some free money (let’s talk…I can help you here…ha!) and / or your company simply has a business requirement that all applications be serviced with mission-critical support agreements
- Lack the technical confidence of changing out hot-swappable parts and would rather allocate just a bit more time on “other” projects
Next Business Day – select this option for one or multiple reasons:
- None of the above reasons under Mission-Critical really apply
- The location where the EqualLogic SAN is to be located is surrounded with technical gurus
- Your technical confidence and competence is through the roof
- You really don’t have the money for Mission-Critical…but, hey, don’t worry about it…most companies are in this spot as well…
- You like to get your hands dirty and exercise those technical skills once in a while…trust me, swapping out hot-swappable parts and configuring a SAN in under 20 minutes can be hard work…
That’s really just about it. But don’t forget…we have EqualLogic Pricing available through our self-service pricing model to give you the options. Honestly, Dell doesn’t do this…you know what they do…? They tuck the cost of ProSupport in with the cost of the array…we don’t do that, we give you ProSupport choices and break it out through our EqualLogic Pricing model. Give me a call or email…I’ll explain it all that ProSupport stuff to you from what’s in it, the differences, etc. All of it.
And, oh, there’s another reason why you need ProSupport. Dell requires it. Yup, that’s right…